WAIPU acts in accordance with the following principles:
- WAIPU is the worldwide representative organization for professional icehockey players (players’ associations).
- WAIPU is a democratic organization. Equality and solidarity are key concepts.
- All affiliated associations actively promote the collective and individual interests of the players.
- Players who are members of an association affiliated to the WAIPU are by extension also guaranteed of the support of other players’ associations in other countries.
- All players are entitled to independent and fair arbitration in national and international disputes. In cases of arbitration, 50% of the arbitrators should be chosen by the players.
- WAIPU pursues equal rights and obligations for all players all over the world.
- WAIPU takes an exceptionally critical attitude to any form of transfer system for professional players.
- WAIPU advocates a correct balance between labour legislation and the specific characteristics of icehockey as a sport. This balance can only be established in an international collective bargaining agreement.
- WAIPU is committed to the achievement of a standard international player contract and an international match calendar.
- WAIPU works for the worldwide formation of players’ associations, which operate independently of clubs and national associations.
- Because the IIHF has recognized the WAIPU as the sole representative of the players, all players’ associations affiliated of the WAIPU should also be recognized by national icehockey associations as independent players’ associations.
- WAIPU makes no distinction on the basis of nationality, religion, political convictions, race or gender. WAIPU is against all forms of racism and violence and will oppose these at all times and works togehter with the SHOW RESPECT Association (www.showrespect.com).
- WAIPU opposes all forms of exploitation and taking advantage of players by third parties. WAIPU advocates transparency and monitoring of all moves.
- The doping problem requires consultation in the short term. Testing procedures and any sanctions imposed must be uniform.
- WAIPU respects and protects both the individual and the collective image rights of players.
- WAIPU protects the legal position of players in relation to the presentation of icehockey matches via radio, television and other media.